What’s this all about?
Proudly hosted by Linum Labs and the University of Cape Town, this hackathon is your entry point into the dynamic and innovative world of blockchain technology. The 10-day competition starts on 22nd January 2018, ending on the 1st of February. The Blockchain Hackathon 2018 is an open invitation aimed at fostering diversity: people with any level of experience and any kind of background are welcome to apply.
With 5 full days of training and education provided by industry experts and professionals, this novel collaboration between private sector entrepreneurs, educators and research academics is an opportunity not to be missed. Moreover, it’s happening in the beautiful city of Cape Town in summer, with all living expenses paid for. You will learn everything you need to know about FinTech and blockchain from people changing the designs of critical global systems using cryptographic technologies and decentralized networks. In addition to the intensive digital bootcamp and access to world class mentors, you will be working on use cases provided by thought leaders and businesses within South Africa – building ideas that matter.
The prototype that you create will be judged on the last day of the event, followed by an awards ceremony on 1 February 2018 where you will present your prototype. Winners receive cash prizes for being placed first or second.
Take the next step and join us in building a resilient and equitable future.
Applications are now open and will close 20 November 2017.
How to Apply?
It’s as easy as one, two three.
- Start the application via the link below
- Complete all of the required fields (teams and individuals)
- Submit your completed application & complete the practical assessment
How does it work?
- Applications are open
- Applications close Mid November
- Participants who are accepted are notified by early December
- You are provided with resources and mentors to help you prepare
- The full 10 day event takes place from the 22nd of January to the 1st of February with all living expenses covered for the duration for successful applicants (*please see T&C’s for more details)
- 22 – 26 January 2018 is the Bootcamp phase, a week of intensive FinTech and Blockchain training to give you a head start in the industry and prepare you for the competition
- 27 & 28 January social weekend and chill in Cape Town
- 29 – 31 January 2018 is the Hackathon
- Awards ceremony and winners are announced on 1 February 2018
What’s in it for you?
- 2 days of hands-on FinTech training and instruction
- 3 days of all inclusive intensive blockchain training valued at R14,500 per person
- 10 days of access to top-level industry experts, instructors and mentors
- 10 days in beautiful Cape Town with all living expenses paid (*travel costs to and from the competition are not included)
- Connect with a network of people trying to make a positive impact on the world
- An opportunity to build something that matters
- Exposure to the community and publicity
- Opportunity to be head hunted, receive internship offers or build a prototype that might be adopted by a sponsor.
- Cash prizes for teams that get placed first or second
Competition details and rules
For more information on the competition specifics, prizes and rules, you can view the terms and conditions here – please check these regularly as they may be subject to change.
Interested in helping out?
If you’re interested in getting involved as a mentor, instructor or sponsor – please drop us an email to email@example.com and we will provide you with more details and information.